Good news for aspiring writers: The Dinaane Debut Fiction Award has extended its submissions period until 30 June 2019.
For the past 15 years, first as the European Union Literary Award and now as The Dinaane Debut Fiction Award, this platform has unearthed great new literary talent within South Africa and now within southern African countries. The Jacana Literary Foundation welcomes submissions that demonstrate innovative and unique writing.
The shortlist will be announced in February 2020. The overall winner will receive R35,000 and will be published by Jacana Media. The winning manuscript will be part of the Exclusive Books Homebru campaign in June 2020.
For details on how to submit your debut fiction novel please visit Jacana’s website here!
Mubanga Kalimamukwento was the winner of this year’s Dinaane Debut Fiction Award, for her novel The Mourning Bird.
- Read: Mubanga Kalimamukwento wins Dinaane Debut Fiction Award for her novel The Mourning Bird
- Find out more about The Mourning Bird here
Previous winners of the European Union Literary Award
- The Mourning Bird by Mubanga Kalimamukwento (2018)
- Selling LipService by Tammy Baikie (2016)
- Dubsteps by Andrew Miller (2014)
- The Story of Anna P, as Told by Herself by Penny Busetto (2013)
- Khalil’s Journey by Ashraf Kagee (2011/12)
- Deeper than Colour by James Clelland (2010)
- Saracen at the Gates by Zinaid Meeran (2009)
- Till We Can Keep an Animal by Megan Voysey-Braig (2008)
- Coconut by Kopano Matlwa (2007)
- Bitches’ Brew by Fred Khumalo and Ice in the Lungs by Gerald Kraak (2005)
- The Silent Minaret by Ishtiyaq Shukri (2004)