The shortlists for the 2023 South African Literary Awards have been announced.
The SALAs are awarded annually by the wRite Associates and the Department of Arts and Culture to celebrate literary excellence in all the languages of South Africa.
The prize seeks to
pay tribute to South African writers who have distinguished themselves as groundbreaking producers and creators of literature, while celebrating literary excellence in the depiction and sharing of South Africa’s histories, value systems, philosophies and art as inscribed and preserved in all the official languages of South Africa.
The winners will be announced at a ceremony on 7 November, International African Writers Day.
2023 South African Literary Awards shortlists
Children’s Literature Award
- Sinathi Mpukwana, Unakho
- Irene Berman, Flap! Rattle! Stomp!
- Kabelo Kgatea, Tutu le Lulu
- Molebatsi Bosilong, Montsane le Motho
- Philip de Vos, Tokkelossiebossie en ander dol gedoentes
- Claudette Browne Storrar, Nelly and Sam Thwala
First-Time Published Author Award
- Ayanda Chris Mntwapi, Bohlulwe Kukusa
- Ntloro Charlotte Pebane, Lerato la Lepheko
- Shevlyn Mottai, Across the Kala Pani
- Zodwa Zondi, Alitjhingi Linganandaba
Youth Literature Award
- Annelie Ferreira, Dit het alles begin by ’n hond
- Dianne Stewart, Time of the Swallows
- Kobate John Sekele, Makgoma a Dihlong
- Onke Mazibuko, The Second Verse
- Makwena Nkwana, Go Tseba Mang?
- Mihlali Blackie, Ukuzazi Ukuzithemba Nokuzamkela
K Sello Duiker Memorial Literary Award
- Dimakatso David Mokwena, Here Comes the Gay King
- Vuyisile Msila, Yombela
- Kaka Mokakale, Tswina ya Poko
- Anelisa Thengimfene, Amajingiqhiw’entlalo
- Michèle Betty, Dark Horse
- Stephen Symons, Small Souls: New and Collected Poems
Nadine Gordimer Short Story Award
- Terry-Ann Adams, White Chalk
Creative Non-Fiction Award
- Mandla J Radebe, The Lost Prince of the ANC: The Life and Times of Jabulani Nobleman ‘Mzala’ Nxumalo
- Siphiwo Mahala, Can Themba: The Making and Breaking of the Intellectual Tsotsi, a Biography
Literary Translators Award
- No nominees
- Sipho R Kekezwa, Intlungu Yokuhlalwa Lilahle Emhlana
- Kobate John Sekele, Re Hwile la Pitsana
- Sue Nyathi, An Angel’s Demise
- Thivhusiwi G Tshindane Tshivhula, Hone Hu Tshi Tea U Maliwa Nga Vhugai?
- Fred Khumalo, Two Tons o’ Fun