The African Speculative Fiction Society has announced the nominations for the 2018 Nommo Awards, including two stories by The JRB Contributing Editors.
The Nommo Awards recognise works of speculative fiction by Africans, including ‘science fiction, fantasy, stories of magic and traditional belief, alternative histories, horror and strange stuff that might not fit in anywhere else’.
The awards include The Ilube Nommo Award for Best Speculative Fiction Novel by an African, as wells as awards for best Novella, Short Story and Graphic Novel.
We’re proud to announce that two Johannesburg Review of Books Contributing Editors have been nominated for Nommos this year. Bongani Madondo was longlisted for the Short Story award for ‘Return of the Afringers‘ and Henrietta Rose-Innes has been shortlisted for her Twitter serialisation ‘Snake Story’, both of which were published in our December Fiction Issue.
- Read ‘Return of the Afringers’, an allegory by Bongani Madondo
- Read ‘Snake Story’, new short fiction by Henrietta Rose-Innes
- Read The JRB December 2017 Fiction Issue
See the full list of nominations here:
- Our Memory Like Dust, Gavin Chait
- The Real, Masha du Toit
- Fever, Deon Meyer
- Akata Warrior, Nnedi Okorafor
- After the Flare, Deji Olukotun
- Beasts Made of Night, Tochi Onyebuchi
- Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor
- Fallow, Sofia Samatar
- The Murders of Molly Southbourne, Tade Thompson
Short Story shortlist
- ‘On the Other Side of the Sea’, Nerine Dorman
- ‘A Door Ajar’, Sibongile Fisher
- ‘Read Before Use’, Chinelo Onwualu
- ‘Snake Story’, Henrietta Rose-Innes
- ‘The Regression Test’, Wole Talabi
Graphic Novel shortlist
- Eru, writers and artists: Tobe Ezeogu and Ozo Ezeogu
- Guardian Prime Genesis, writer: Wale Awelenje, artist: Jide Martin
- Hero Kakere, writer and artist: Tobe Ezeogu, artist: Kelechi Issac
- Ireti Bidemi, Michael Balogun and Adeleye Yusuf
- Lake of Tears, writer: Kwabena Ofei, artist: Setor Fiadzigbey
- Quest & the Sign of the Shining Beast, writer: Robert S Malan, artist: John Cockshaw