Jacana Media has kicked off an project called Storied, which aims to help African stories thrive—long term—and reach worldwide audiences.
- In South Africa in 2016, 2.6 million local adult fiction and non-fiction books were sold
- 69,000 were English language novels
- Only 2 of those titles sold over 2,000 copies that year
- The average English South African novel will only sell 600—1,000 copies in its entire lifetime
- People are not buying local fiction
Through your investment, Storied will raise the money to help publish more African fiction and poetry catering for a diverse reading community, scaling up sales margins which will be shared with investors.
Storied goes live on Uprise.Africa in a few days.